Monday, April 20, 2009

OAT is next week

The OAT testing is next week for 3rd graders in our district. Will is going to be tested in both reading and math.

He brought home a version of last years OAT math test today that he did in class last week for practice. He got 16 out of 26 correct. Hmpf...

I went over it with him this afternoon, which apparently they had also done in class today. He very reluctantly went over it with me. He didn't think he should have to. I can tell he is back in a funk. School is not very exciting to him these days. He is struggling and he knows it. I really think he has to try harder. Things don't just come easily and he has never been a kid that wants to try harder.

Anyway, we went over the test. 6 of the 10 points he missed were what I would consider careless mistakes. Had he read the questions correctly, slowed down, double checked or whatever he doesn't do, he should have gotten these 6 right. They were easy. They were concepts he knows.

I pointed this out to him. He says he knows. I tried to explain to him that on these standardized tests they are graded by a computer, not Mrs. Ketchum. If he makes a silly/careless mistake, the computer just marks it wrong. It doesn't think to itself, "Hmmm, this Will kid knows this information, why did he get it wrong". No the computer just marks it wrong and goes on to the next question. I told him he will end up with a really low score if he doesn't slow down and focus.

Again, he seemed to get this, but will he put it into effect?

I still have not seen a grade for the Reading Common Assessment from last week. This was one Ms. Rockett really wanted to see to use as a judgement on where Will is right now. I am not sure what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment