Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Reflection

I just spent the last 45 minutes rereading most of the posts I have written on this blog. Amazing to look back at the beginning and see where we were. 3rd grade, so may questions about what was going on with Will. Nobody knew where to direct us. Nobody REALLY thought there was a big problem. And maybe there isn't. Not a REALLY big problem, but big enough for us.

Looking back on what we have found out, what we have done, what we haven't done, etc... is fascinating. I read over these posts and I remember things I had forgotten. I see things I didn't see then. I am thinking of things we ought to be doing and aren't! It is so easy to get caught up in one aspect and lose sight on the others.

An example I am thinking of is how we really jumped on the vision processing disorder diagnosis. It answered so many questions and came with therapy! A way to treat the problem! Exactly what we were looking for! However, diving into that made us put the ADHD diagnosis aside. Was that smart? I am not sure. I have gone back to it from time to time in my mind. I have had a few conversations with Chris about it since then. But, we have not really addressed it.

That is the problem, I suppose, with getting by! If things are going ok, grades are being maintained, teachers aren't calling us about problems. We tend to forget there are issues potentially there. The fact that he can't maintain his binders without serious parental involvement, is probably a factor of his ADHD. The fact that his locker probably looks like a bomb exploded inside of it is also a factor. The fact that I do have to sit with him to get him to complete his homework. The fact that he has trouble remembering what he has for homework. All of this is probably connected to his ADHD. But, he gets by. With help. And we go on and don't address the real problem.

And, maybe that is okay. We still do not want to turn to medication, unless necessary. But, reading one of my posts from last fall, about my friend's daughter who was also diagnosed ADHD, inattentive-type. They were very anti-medication, until they decided to try it. It changed their daughter's world. They are homeschooling this year, though. I wonder if she still takes the medication or if they are able to manage it better with her being at home... a question to email her.

So, things have improved, I can see that after reading all my posts. But, I can also see things have evolved. Problems have changed. Nothing we can't handle. Middle School comes next and I wonder what that will bring. For now, we will continue on as we have been. Try to address some other issues that are there, like the ADHD. Try to instill more self-responsibility. I'd like to look back at 2012, next year, and be able to post how many positive changes we have made and how they have helped Will blossom into self-reliant, responsible, organized young man!


No comments:

Post a Comment