Saturday, November 27, 2010

Update on report

I spoke to Dr. L on the phone the other day to get some more information on the report she had sent to me. It was a good conversation and I feel like I have a better understanding now.

She made a good point to me about not getting caught up in the test scores. They are merely a snapshot in time and he could take the same tests on a different day and get a different score. With that said, she did address my questions about the one test in particular that he had such vastly different scores on. She said that it is promising to her to see such discrepancies because it shows that he is capable of scoring high. He is capable of the work. But, for the two areas where he struggled so much. That says he really has issue in those areas, but they are fixable and with some work he can bring those scores up. She said that if he had scored poorly across the board then we would have a bigger problem.

She is excited he is working with Dr. T. and more excited to test him again at the end of the 12 weeks we spend with her. She wants to see how the therapy effects the conditions she found in him. She believes, as do I, that what Dr. T is doing is wonderful and helpful in so many different ways. Not only tackling the vision issues but also the cross brain training and sensory training. It is all very helpful. Dr. L did say that Dr. T does not have a whole lot of activities addressing the Convergence Insufficiency, which is Will's major problem. She told me that she was going to send me a Brock String, and one to Dr. T, for Will to work with. I received it just yesterday. Takes some figuring it out, but I am definitely going to work with Will on it. She suggested continuing with the push-ups as well, to help work on the convergence issues.

She gave me some other ideas of things Will can be doing at home to help with the areas he struggled on the tests. Hidden picture puzzles, the game Simon (sequencing), puzzles, etc... So we found a great website for online hidden picture puzzles. He has already played on it a couple of times and liked it.

I feel so lucky to have these resources for Will. They are pricey, but well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment