Sunday, January 18, 2009

Lazy vs. Real Problem

On the one hand I can see how he might just be in a lazy stage. He does not want to do extra work, he does not want to do anything extra, he seems like he just wants to skate by.


On the other hand maybe he doesn't want to do anything extra because just doing the minimum takes so much effort.


How do I know?


I had dinner with Katie last night and she made an interesting point to me. In regards to his getting the wrong answers on his math unit test when in actuality he knew the correct answers. She said that if this was all just a matter of being lazy wouldn't he still at least get the answers right? If he knows the answers then he knows the answers. Laziness does not translate into putting wrong answers down.


Or does it?


Is he just not paying enough attention, or caring enough to make sure he has the right answer?


This is all so confusing to me. I don't want to make excuses for Will if this is all a matter of him just needing to put more effort into his work. If it is just a matter of him trying harder to pay attention to detail. I want him to take responsibility for that. If he needs to.


But, maybe there is a problem. Maybe he is not just being lazy. Maybe he truly has a disconnect somewhere in that cute little head of his and he has trouble processing from his brain to paper. Or whatever it may be. Maybe he really cannot help it.


I wish there was a tried and true test that I could give him. Or better yet, as simple question I could ask him that would reveal to me the answers. I hate the thought of putting him through hours and hours of tests. I know for him that will feel like torture!


How do you tell the difference?



No comments:

Post a Comment