Thursday, January 22, 2009

Report Cards come home tomorrow

I am oh so curious what Will's report card is going to behold. I am not expecting greatness. I asked him how he thinks his grades will be. He said, "Good".

Huh?

How can they possibly be good with all the poor grades he has been getting on papers and tests and assessments? How can he think his grades will be "good"?

He brought home two tests yesterday from last week. The one was his math unit test that I spoke to Mrs. K about. It was interesting to see where his mistakes were. And the fact that he knew them when she went over it with him just blows my mind. There was one in particular that surprised me. It was multiple choice and asked which of the following was a characteristic of a triangle. He chose wrong. The correct answer was that it has three angles. What he chose was said a triangle is three-dimonsional. What? How did he get that wrong? He had come home from school one day last week all excited to tell me that TRIANGLE means THREE ANGLES. How did he get that wrong?????

The other assessment he brought home yesterday was from reading. It had a passage to read and then questions about it. Multiple choice and fill in the blank. He got a 10/14. He said, "See I did good". No, dear. 10 out of 14 is 71% which in his school's grading system is a D. Ugh!!!!!

I tried to talk to him a little about that one. He says when he reads he is so interested in what is going to happen next that he doesn't remember what he is reading. I don't know if that really makes sense, but that is what he thinks happens.

So, I have no idea what to expect on his report card. We have our conference in the morning.

He also has an assessment on rocks and soil. He came home with a study guide and he and I went over most of it last night. I remember that when i was in school and had to study that I always learned the information better if I wrote it down. I can remember taking copious notes from my textbooks. Just reading for me rarely worked. It was hard for me to retain the info. So I had Will write down the various items that were on his study guide. He knows a lot of the info already. I think he enjoyed writing it down. We are going to do the rest of it tonight and then go over it.

It will be interesting to see how he does on the assessment. If he still does poorly then I don't know what to think. I am sure that by the end of tonight he will have a very good handle on the info.

No comments:

Post a Comment