Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An S- and a 100

Those are the grades Will brought home from school yesterday on two different items.

He received the S- on some sort of Geography assignment in Ms. Rockett's class. He misspelled one word, did not capitalize Great Lakes and got two answers wrong. Hmpf! Unfortunately there was no note sent home with it, so I am not sure if this was a quiz of sorts or if he had the information in front of him and just had to pull the answers from it. I am guessing it was the latter. I meant to ask Will about it but he went to a friend's after school yesterday and I forgot to ask him this morning. I'll get to the bottom of it this afternoon.

I was so proud, as was he, to see the 100 on the reading assignment. It was two pages of comprehension questions from the book he just finished reading. He got them all right. But... he goes on to tell me that when he first turned it in he had skipped a question. Ok. Then he goes on to say that he turned it in, Ms. Rockett looked at it, made a funny face (as demonstrated by Will during this narrative) and then told him "I think you have every single one of these wrong but one". What?

So, I looked closer at this glorious 100 paper in front of me and I could see remnants of erased answers on every question. So, while he did get a 100 it is only because Ms. Rockett allowed him to go back and correct ALL of the wrong answers he had.

Why? Why? Why? Why did he have all the wrong answers? Why was he able to go back and correct them? Why is it that he obviously was able to find the right answers when made to go back, how on earth did he miss them in the first place?

Again I need to talk to him about this some more. I think it probably warrants an email to Ms. Rockett, too. It is so frustrating to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment