Thursday, March 5, 2009

I don't get it

Really, I just don't get it.

Will was home for three days with the flu. A total of 5 days down if you include the weekend. So, as I mentioned in my last post he misses his math unit test on Friday.

Mrs. Ketchum had sent extra review work for him, thank goodness. So, even though I made my poor sick child do that on Thursday night, I also made him do it again on Tuesday night. I knew he was going back to school and would be taking that unit test.

He was as prepared as he was going to be.

I picked Will up from school and asked him how his unit test went. He told me he stayed in at lunch to do it and he thought he did "good".

We get home after picking up Ben and I check my email. I had an email from Mrs. Ketchum:

Hi Jenny,
I was really anxious to check Will's Math test after school... he did well so far, but skipped 2 pages! He took the test during recess since he had to stay in anyway and he finished it quickly so I kept telling him to double check EVERYTHING and reread questions and answers. He said he did, but I don't know how he could've missed two pages then? He did do well on the harder multi-step problems in the test, so he was careful with the questions he did. I just wanted to fill you in. I'll probably give him a chance tomorrow to finish the test and take off a point for skipping.
~Lori


WHAT?????

How can he miss two entire pages? I don't understand. I don't get it.

I asked him about it and he was shocked. He said he thought he did them all. Clearly he did not. I asked him if he thought he deserved a chance to do those two pages he skipped (because I am not so sure he does). I told him that Mrs. Ketchum seemed to be willing to let him do them, though he would miss a point for having skipped them. I told him that if this was 4th grade he would just get an F and not a second chance.

Ugh!!!!!

I am so frustrated. I can't tell if he cares or not. He seemed genuinely surprised, he seems to want to finish the test, but he didn't seem to affected by my statement about the F. I also went as far as to tell him that if he did this too many times in 4th grade he would get an F in his classes and if he gets too many F's he doesn't get to go on to 5th grade.

I don't know if that was mean or warranted or whatever, but I am so frustrated. How do you not see 2 pages on a test?

No comments:

Post a Comment