Saturday, May 30, 2009

Big Meeting Scheduled



Monday morning, 7:50 a.m.

And I am petrified! I am meeting with both of Will's teachers, the school counselor, the school psychologist and an administrator. Yikes!

I have no idea what to expect and I am a bit worried because in a sense I am the one who called this meeting. I didn't really, but I am the one who sent the email to our counselor stating that I was going to pursue testing on my own this summer.

So, again, I am a little worried. Worried that we are all going to sit down together and they are all going to look at me and say, "OK- we are all here, now what? Why the heck do you think your kid has a problem?"

I spent yesterday afternoon gathering up examples of his work and assessments from this year, his report cards, his interim reports, his standardized testing scores and copies of the email to and from his teachers.

I am going to pour over those tonight and extract the things that raise red flags for me. I want to be prepared. I want to look like I know what I am talking about, even though I don't!

Actually, I am going to be completely honest and tell them that I have no idea if Will is a typical 3rd grader or not. They have brought things to my attention over the year, his grades have remained B's and C's, he continues to work inconsistently. Maybe that is typical. I have no idea, I have nothing to compare it to. No older siblings. Only my friend's children who all seem to be getting straight A's.

I'm not going to let him slip through the cracks. And I think that is exactly what would happen to him if I wasn't pursuing all this. He does not have BIG problems, but for some reason he is not excelling. And I do believe he is capable of that. If they can tell me my child is destined to be a B and C student I can accept that. But, I don't think that is the case.

I need to do a lot of praying between now and Monday morning. A lot of digging, a lot of thinking and a lot of note taking. I want to go in to that meeting with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment