Thursday, May 14, 2009

Summer is coming


Decisions need to be made, research needs to be done. I have determined that I want Will to be tutored this summer. The decision is between a tutoring program, like Huntington Learning Center or using a private tutor.

I now have a list of great tutors that charge an average of $35-40/hour. Yep, that's right. Man, I should become I tutor, I think. It's gotta be better than Real Estate right now!

Anyway, I need to get pricing on Huntington. But, I do think Huntington is going to be the way we go.

After consulting with my educational guru, a.k.a. my friend Tricia, I think he needs the diagnostic testing they provide. I think that will go a long way in determining if we have a real problem going on here or not. They can then tailor the tutoring to his needs.

If we go with a private tutor, they don't do the testing part. So how the heck do they know what he needs help on? Though, I was thinking of using a 4th grade Loveland teacher, and he/she would at least know what a typical 3rd grader would be capable of vs. what Will is doing. But... I think we have been chasing this idea of testing for too long now. It is time to act.

I feel frutrated with myself. We have been dealing with issues off and on since mid-December and I am still no further along then talking about what Will needs. Why have I not acted? Why have we not gotten testing done? Why am I beating this dead horse?

I guess because it has been a fluctuating problem. Good and bad. Sometimes things are just rolling along fantastically and then I find out the kid can't tell the difference between a noun and a verb. What? But then the next week he aces conjunctions. Really?

Ugh. Anyway, tutoring this summer, in one format or another, can only help. It might break the bank, but you know what? My kid's education and self esteem are worth it! You can't put a price on that. My husband thinks you can, but I am here to tell him you can't!

No comments:

Post a Comment