Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Insufficient

That is the word of the day...

Or rather insufficiency I should say.

Yesterday was Will's appointment at the developmental/behavioral optometrist. We were referred to a doctor that is located in New Bremen, Ohio. Where is New Bremen? Well, it is approximately 2 hours and 3 minutes from my house. That is a long way to travel for a doctor appointment. But, this doctor, Dr. L, came highly recommended.

So, I picked him up from school at 12:30 and we traveled north. We arrived in New Bremen early and hit the local DQ. I had a Blizzard, he had a cheeseburger and a malt. We then traveled across the street to New Bremen Eye Care.

They took him back quickly and performed a quick, standard eye exam. I forgot all about the puff of air. Ouch. He did fine with it, but he had no warning. He came out telling me he got shot by a puff of air in the eye! Anyway, we then went back and waited for Dr. L.

Long story short, she spent 2 1/2 hours with us. She took a brief history of Will, we spoke a little about the report Dr. M did, and she asked some questions about his vision and school and whatnot. She then sent me to the waiting room and she took him into another room to do some one on one stuff. I waited about 45 minutes, until Will came to get me.

We then went back in the first room and she did lots of eye tests and exams. It was interesting to watch. Both what she was doing and Will's inability to hold still. He did great, but man was he fidgety.

So, she still has to score the tests she did with him, but she was able to to tell me that he has both convergence insufficiency and accomodative insufficiency. The testing may reveal more. She did a great job of explaining both disorders and I have done some more research on them myself. (see links) It is amazing how accurate the symptoms are at describing what we see in Will! Also, I read that some studies are finding a link between convergence insufficiency and ADD...

Dr. L. gave us a number of exercises to work on at home. Daily. I am going to make a chart. Both to incentivize Will and to keep myself in check. Daily exercise is something I am not good at following through on! Pencil push-ups, cross overs, wiffle ball following, and snow angels. Examples of his exercises.

So much of this explains his headaches and could help explain his inattentiveness. Dr. L. said that this won't be a cure all, but we could definitely see a huge improvement across the board with successful vision therapy! Music to my ears!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment