Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Now What?

I think that is my biggest question. Now what? Where do we go from here?

Thank God Will's teachers are on board with helping us out with this! The school seems to be as well. We have a meeting scheduled for Thursday morning with the principal, the school psychologist, the school counselor, both teachers and Chris and I. I have forwarded the report on to them, so we should all be on the same page.

I am not 100% sure what to expect at this meeting, but I am hoping we can all agree on putting some accomodations into place for Will to help him be successful. There were some suggestions in the report and I imagine the school will have some suggestions also.

We have scheduled the Visual Processing Evaluation for next Tuesday. The doctor that we were referred to is in New Bremen, Ohio. That is two hours away. Ugh! So, I will be picking Will up from school after lunch on that day and he and I will be traveling north. The eval is supposed to take up to two hours and then we will be driving back. A looooong day, to say the least! I pray we get some answers there. I feel very hopeful about that.

We will speak to the school about potential speech/language evals, though the report highly recommends we seek private testing, that will not be as educationally based. It would be nice to take advantage of the school's S/L pathologist, but we shall see. I want to do what's best for Will.

We need to either find a private math tutor for him or figure out if the school can handle the remedial work Will needs. There is a Math Lab after school two days a week, so that is a possibility. I just need to find out if it will be "enough" for him. And how many students are in it? If 50 students come, then I don't see how that will be helpful to Will.

Lots to figure out. Thank God it is the beginning of the school year and we are able to know all of this now and put into place what we can to help make 5th grade a good experience for Will.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment